Wednesday, August 3, 2011

today I made lotion


IMG_6695

well after seeing this pin on pinterest, it's been on my 'to do' list for a while. Being an eczema sufferer and also being allergic to almost every fragrance under the sun makes it hard to find inexpensive lotions and moisturisers as well as almost every other toiletry products, that don't wreck havoc on my sinuses and my skin. why does everything have to packed to the brim with fragrances?!

IMG_6696

Anyway, this morning I was moping around feeling sorry for myself when I decided I should be productive and put the beeswax I picked up in Hawkes Bay to good use while Archer was happily playing in the plastics cupboard. I started to panic when the water wasn't blending into the oil/wax mix but with an extra minute or two on high speed in the food processor it came together nicely. I was a little disappointed the smell of the tea I used didn't come through, but that might be more to do with the fact that I opted not to used any essential oils and the type of olive oil I used (extra virgin because it was all we have ~~ will buy light especially for the purpose next time or even get some avocado oil). It's a lovely thick cream-like lotion, a bit greasy at first but absorbs into the skin beautifully and has taken the itch right out of my eczema (we will see if it helps it heal though...). I even used it on Archers bottom at nappy change time and his skin feels lovely and smooth. He may smell a little like salad dressing but at least its better than some of those yucky zinc-based creams getting into creases and such!

If you want to have a go at making your own, the recipe can be found here

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, lovely!! I used to make my own lotions all the time (one day I shall do it again..found my huge big bag of beeswax yesterday!) - absolutely gorgeously delicious when you use rosewater :)

    You'll hate the feel of any commercially produced cream after using your beautiful natural stuff, it all feels greasy & ick!

    Thanks for the inspiration...I know what I'll be doing this afternoon! And nice work with the food processor, excellent plan. It just doesn't come together properly without a little electric help.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! So rich and creamy. You're very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks awesome. have you tried 'pot of gold' for your eczema?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock.Star.

    i can only imagine how complicated it all is so never give it a go.

    vrey proud of you (if thats ok with you)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. So impressive. Really.
    I can think of a million different 'flavours' I want to make, now just got to get motivated to actually do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)