Tuesday, August 23, 2011

oaty caramel crumble slice

oaty caramel crumble slice


Annoyingly I always have SO much condensed milk left over on the rare occasion that I make the boys chocolate chip cookies and it usually sits in the fridge turning rancid. Yesterday I decided to put it to good use and make a yummy (but semi-healthy with the oats... well that's what I'm telling myself!) 
treat for Luke and I.


Oaty Caramel Crumble Slice

Base

150 grams butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Caramel

2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup

Crumble topping

1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oats
50g melted butter


For the base :: melt butter, brown sugar and golden syrup over a low heat. Mix dry ingredients together and add to the melted mixture. Press into a greased or lined tin
For the caramel :: melt all ingredients together in a pot, over a low heat til combined. stir continually and be careful not to burn. When thick (but still pourable!), pour and spread evenly over the base.
For the topping :: mix dry ingredients together then mix in melted butter. Crumble over the top of the caramel layer.
Bake at 160 C for 20 minutes. Leave to cool before cutting into 'fingers'.

Enjoy!!
 

9 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds yum! Can't wait to try making it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today must be a caramel slice kinda day - I posted a recipe for an anzac caramel slice today too! Yours looks so good, will definitely be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nom nom, there's a great oaty caramel recipe in the new Jo Seagar 'it's easier than you think'. Were addicted to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I have been looking for a recipe for a slice like this. I've had it from a few cafes. I will definitely try it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good - I always have the same problem with the left over condensed milk (or I eat a spoon or two and then feel sick!)I will def try this recipe. Thanks for posting :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'm going out to buy condensed milk today. My thighs hate you right now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious and autumnal! I'm adding this to my Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This slice is amazing!!! I made it yesterday and it's gone today... opps. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This slice is awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I made a version with stewed rhubarb on top of the caramel and it was great, too.

    I've linked to your post in one of mine: http://tallshortandtiny.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/a-creative-month/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)