I always seem to end up with a collection of half eaten fruit gathering in the fridge. It seems such a waste to throw away a perfectly good apple when it's only had about 6 little person bites taken out of it. The squidgets seem to be a bit bored of the apple muffins I usually make and I was wracking my brain when I remembered the Apple Shortcake we used to buy from the local bakery as a little girl and thought it'd be a lovely sweet treat for them. I mixed a bit of rhubarb from our freezer in with the apple to make the half eaten fruit go a bit further. (and y'know because stewed apple and rhubarb is the quintessential winter combination!)
Rhubarb and Apple Shortcake:
(variation on the edmonds cookbook recipe)
approx 3/4 to 1 cup of stewed apple
approx 3/4 cup of stewed rhubarb
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 to 2 tblsp milk
icing sugar
Sift flour and baing powder into a bowl. cut butter into cubes and rub into flour until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Mix in the caster sugar and the beaten egg. Add sufficient milk to make a firm dough (I used both spoonsful). Knead until smooth. Divide dough into 2 and roll out each peice to fit a square cake pan or a brownie pan. Line the pan with baking paper and place one peice of dough in the pan, spread with the rhubarb and the apple mixed together and then lightly press the remaining dough on top. bake at 180 C for 25 minutes. when cold lift baking paper out of the pan, sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into peices.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Yum! We love apple shortcake here
ReplyDeletenom nom
ReplyDeleteooh yum! thanks for the recipe. i have lots of rhubarb in the garden just waiting to be made into shortbread. :)
ReplyDelete