If you haven't heard by now, (and if you're in New Zealand, then of course you would of) here in the Bay of Plenty we have been watching for days, by the hour and hoping for news of progress in salvaging the ship Rena which has grounded on reef off our coast. You can see it there in the picture above ~ a dark shadow looming on the horizon, threatening to potentially cause one of the worse environmental/pollution disasters our country has ever seen. Those that know us personally know that the ocean plays a huge part in our family life and this is very close to our hearts (as is the reef, with it being a place that attracts a diverse variety of fish and is Luke's favourite dive spot in the whole country). And especially with our beach ~Papamoa~ being the foremost predicted to catch the spill, should a major leak arise.

There it is, a great big, ugly, hulking, potential disaster. And there is nothing we can do but watch and wait.
It's a surreal feeling.
It's a surreal feeling.
I have been reading the headlines every spare moment and feel absolutely distraught about it!!! I remember last year when Abbey was born, the major news at the time over here was the huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and I would sit holding her while watching the reports with tears in my eyes, listening to all the personal stories of the impact it was having on the communities and wildlife affected and I remember thinking - "imagine if this happened at Papamoa!? At MY beach!?" I couldn't imagine how awful it would feel and now I know. It is sooo upsetting :o(
ReplyDeleteP.S. I was wondering if you would be able to see the ship from the beach - this is the first pic I have seen taken from the coastline.
You are so close to it all... oh my goodness
ReplyDeleteIt's awful :(