Tuesday, February 14, 2012

yellow relish

our glut of cherry tomatoes!

IMG_8538

tomato relish 

We've had a bit of a mishap in the garden this summer... somehow our seeds got mixed up while we were sowing and we've ended up with about 10 yellow cherry tomato plants! together they're producing about a litre of itty bitty tomatoes a day which all four of us are starting to get sick of the sight of! While they're great for the salads, pizza's, for snacking on and donating to kindy for morning/afternoon tea, they aren't exactly toast material now, are they? and we are seriously inundated!! we were (and still will with some) going to roast/fry up this lot with a load of garlic and store them in the freezer but I got a bit curious as to how they would go in a relish/chutney and so far so good! but I'll have to let you know for sure when the (small) batch  matures in a month or so.

I just used the tomato relish recipe from the Edmonds cookbook .

Tomato Relish

1.5kg tomatoes, quartered.
4 onions, quartered.
2 tablespoons non iodised salt.
2 cups brown sugar.
2 1/4 cups Malt vinegar.
3 chillies.
1 tablespoon dry mustard.
1 tablespoon curry powder.
2 tablespoons plain flour.
1/4 cup malt vinegar.

Put tomatoes and onions into a non metallic bowl. sprinkle with salt and leave for at least 12 hours. Drain off liquid formed. Put vegetables, sugar, first measure of vinegar and chillies into a preserving pan. Boil gently for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Mix mustard, curry, flour and second measure of vinegar to a smooth paste. stir into relish. Boil for 5 minutes and pack into sterilised jars.

Makes about four 350ml jars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)