Saturday, January 28, 2012

home again

camping holiday 2012

camping holiday 2012

camping holiday 2012

camping holiday 2012
camping holiday 2012

camping holiday 2012


I've never felt more glad to be home. Although a beautiful spot which we adore, camping with extended family who are not familiar with the ways of small children proved to be very stressful. A little too stressful if you include the uncomfortable stretcher I slept on, the howling winds in the middle of the night, the fact that I almost cut off the tip of one of my fingers and spent the next few days in an awkward bandage, scaredy Archer's fear of my brother Bevan's young dog who insisted on trying to be friends consistently (although he was pretty cute!), and Luke accidentally backing the car into a bunch of drunk locals in torrential rain/badly directed roadworks 5mins into our trip home yesterday.

BUT thankfully there were some good points. Like the glorious sunshine that lasted right up until 2 hours before we left (and then it POURED). and the fresh seafood. and being able to swim without fear of our boys being hit by tar balls. and (although the Arch wasn't a fan) watching Finny make a new friend in Uncle Bevan's gorgeous black Labrador. and excitedly watching the same uncle attempt to haul in a stingray who mistakenly took his bait while fishing off the rocks. and figuring out that my camera has functions that I didn't even know existed. and the ice-cream! $2 double scoops, yes please! and yeah, that spending time together thing, that was pretty neat too.

(....but I still don't think we'll be camping with extended whanau again for a while!)

2 comments:

  1. Tee hee, we had a 'similar' experience over new years with family who do things 'a little different' to us! Can't say camping and preggies are my two favourtie combos either! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, i really can relate to this post! I have 2 little boys also, Jasper 21 months and George 5 months ( a tad younger than yours) and we also went tenting (rugged style..chilly bins/long drop) with parents and uncles etc.. I felt like I was being constantly scrutinized as parent, and also was over aware of behaviour..it wasn't that relaxing..i SO know the wind thing..far, one night I was up till like 3am! grr, must suck for you being pregnant and all Lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)