
I bought this sack dress in a vintage store about a year ago, after being bullied into the decision by a friend. It was on the sale rack for $10 ~ which is still more than I'd usually pay for a 2nd hand dress. When I got home I realised just how big it was on me and it was dumped on my pile of things to adjust and not looked at since.
I've been on the lookout for a yellow toned dress for the warmer seasons and actually nearly bought one from Farmers on sale a week or so ago, which I regretted leaving behind when I got home. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was having a rummage through my pile for something, when I stumbled across this dress. A few adjustments later and my yellow dress quest is over!

I'm thinking it's probably not too obvious what adjustments I made; I cut off the collar and finished the edge with bias binding, too the bodice in by about 3 inches on either side seam, took about 5cm off the bottom of the bodice, replaced the elastic in the waistline, shortened the sleeves and replaced the horrid brown buttons with white ones. Why a yellow floral dress had brown buttons ~ I will never know!
~ also, I've been mega lucky in the new shoes stakes the last week or so too. These arrived by courier this morning... love! (and a perfect fit too - double love!) from ASOS.

The new version looks awesome :-) Wish I could sew!
ReplyDelete(long time reader but never commented before)..... just had to say WOW! What a great transformation! That is an awesome job. Looks very cool... lovin it.
ReplyDeleteKate (kittie444@hotmail.com)
AMAZING! You did such a great job and look great in it! Jen :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic re-style. F.A.N bloody T.A.S.T.I.C you are! xxx
ReplyDeletethat is AMAZING!! i love it!! i have a vrey similar black-with-floral dress i've been toying with for awhile...it has buttons the full length though.
ReplyDeletei love this length, but my legs bow at the knee and it looks awful on me i think...?
clever, clever lady~ <3
Oh you clever clever thing, I'm never brave enough to do this ~ but I think I might just have to give it a go. I have tons a dresses that need some restyling. Well done. J.xx
ReplyDeleteWow, what a transformation, it looks lovely on you. I wish I had your sewing skills and vision! I wouldn't have looked twice at that dress (despite the pretty fabric!) because it really was a sack to begin with!
ReplyDeletexx
You are incredible. I have a million trillion things sitting in my 'to alter' pile, but everytime I try to alter them it never seems to work out quite right. This is the perfect tranformation, you clever thing!
ReplyDelete