Tuesday, September 13, 2011

make a miniature hobby horse ~~tutorial~~

IMG_7362


 Well I did have a bit energy for some of kiddi-craft in my mini-break. Mostly because the boys were fighting over Fins Hobby Horse that I made him for Christmas, so I desperately needed a solution! Anyway, long story short I was going to chuck out a heap of odd small-people socks when I had a bit of a brain wave and thought I'd share it with you all! I hope this all makes sense, be gentle ~ it's my first tutorial!

You will need ::
IMG_7295

odd small persons sock
stuffing
stick (or dowel ~ I just used sticks from the garden)
hot glue gun (or craft glue if you have the time to let it dry in between steps
permanent marker
small scrap of felt for ears (i didn't use the blue pictured in the end...)
scissors
googley eyes or buttons
scraps of wool/yarn.


IMG_7298IMG_7296   IMG_7297

Stuff sock as desired, being careful not to over stuff and stretch the sock out of shape. insert stick and glue into place.


Tie an oddment of yarn around bottom (or top?) of the sock and trim lengths off. mark the position where you would like the hair.


IMG_7301 IMG_7302 

Wrap yarn around your fingers to make hair. Snip the yarn open. (as in picture).


IMG_7303

Glue hair into position as marked. Glue eye into position as desired (picture follows ~ just eyeball it... it will look fine wherever you put it!)

IMG_7304


(these photo's are back to front sorry... blogger won't let me switch them around!)
Cut triangley shapes from felt. Glue into place on horse as pictured (again, just eyeball it!) Draw on eyelashes is you wish your horsey to have some.



IMG_7309
IMG_7310 

cut a length of yarn for the reigns (doesn't really matter how long.) in fact you could also use ribbon for this bit if you want. Wrap around your horsey muzzle and tie at the bottom. you can put a bit of glue here if you want to hold it into place. Tie the ends of the reigns together at the back of horsey's head and there you have it!
IMG_7362


Good for looking at, running round with, or for smothering with toddley kisses....


IMG_7287

IMG_7285

IMG_7290

But be very careful because they like to eat vegetable gardens!!





IMG_7292

4 comments:

  1. thanks! i know zoe would love one of these but its not like i have GIANT socks hanging about waiting to be made up and don't want to have to buy some.. the miniature ones are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute tutorial!!! I'm so going to make one (or five) of these... In fact, I might just be adding another favour to the millions of favours I've already made for Eleanor's birthday (luckily she only has four guests coming...)! Uh oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Sadie would love to make one. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Very clever and such fun :) Makes me wish my bigs were still littlies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)