Tuesday, January 18, 2011

savoury scrolls

savoury scrolls

savoury scrolls

savoury scrolls

savoury scrolls

Ok, so if I'm being honest, I meant to do this post before christmas. I took the photos, then forgot about them! We were making these again this morning when I remembered... a month later. oops.

Also, you might have noticed by now that 90% of my baking is done with Finley, it is probably one of his favourite activities and it's rare if a day goes by where he doesn't ask to do some. If you have a toddler and haven't baked with them yet, DO IT! Fin and I started together when he was just 15 months. I'd sit him on the bench next to me and he loved to (attempt to) stir, put cheese or chocolate buttons in the bowl and taste test. It's really good for teaching them about wet and dry, about measuring, and if you are making something that needs kneading, it's excellent for fine motor skills. But be warned: it's messy and it does at times require the patience of a saint. Something that I have to admit I don't have and at times baking sessions have ended in messy floury tears. But honestly it's worth a go.

anyway, on with the recipe...

Savoury Scrolls (or pinwheel scones)

2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
150ml milk
topping of choice (eg, tomato chutney, pesto, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, bacon, onion, marmite...)
1/2 cup grated cheese (plus a bit extra)


Sift flour, baking powder, salt together. Make a well in the centre and pour in melted butter and milk. Mix with a knife til well mixed, then gently knead to form a dough. Roll out dought to a 20 by 30cm rectangle, spread (or sprinkle) with your toppings (pictured is tomato chutney and basil, this morning I spread on pesto. Finley likes marmite on his.) and then sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over top. Roll from long side into a log. Slice into 10 even slices and place cut side up on a greased tray. Top with the extra cheese and then bake in a hot oven, 200 centigrade, for 20mins.



2 comments:

  1. Look great, I always get something like this when we go to cafes....I will try making my own x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuuum these look divine! I forgot how much I love savory scrolls. They satisfy so many cravings all at once...
    I must revive them in my home! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)