Monday, January 17, 2011

a hobby horse tale

This post is a couple of weeks late. I've been lazy with all my christmassy posts... Just relieved it was over you know?

Anyway, this year I had intended to make 90% of my christmas presents. Unfortunately the boys came down with a tummy bug 2 weeks before christmas, so half of what I intended to make didn't eventuate. I guess thats what you get for being last minute!

One of the things I did manage to get finished was a Hobby horse for Finley. The lovely Dee sent me a copy of a vintage pattern she has stashed and I set to work translating the slightly confusing instructions (edit: The pattern was confusing not Dee's wonderful copying). This was the result of my first mock-up:


hobbyhorse


It was at this point that I was really happy that I bothered to do a mock up because it was so WRONG. wonky, lanky and just plain weird. To cut a long story short, 4 mockups later (and a whole lot of cussing when I really thought it wasn't going to work), I ended up with this:

Lucy's hobby horse

Which ended up becoming a birthday pressie for a special little girl, because I was so pleased with it.

hobby horse

And then I made Finleys!

abandoned hobby horse

Which sadly he doesn't love as much as I do. Maybe next time I'll make one bright blue with 'Thomas' written all over it. Or maybe it's time to introduce him to cowboys...

3 comments:

  1. I've so been wanting to make a couple of these for my girls! ever think about doing a tutorial for this?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i'm seriously impressed with your perseverance!!! now if you could write out some instructions that actually resemble something intelligible and email them to me....that'd be great!! :) :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would of loved one for Xmas....they are gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)