Monday, August 20, 2012

sweet treats




After a bit of a freak out on my part over Benji's spilling habits (I thought it was reflux revisited!) I've had to fiddle around with my diet a whole lot. Initially I cut out all citrus and dairy (just like Archer) but unfortunately this didn't help at all. Eventually I put the problem down to the chocolate I've been hauling back pretty much since his conception (no wonder so many people thought he was going to be a girl!). I'm blaming tomatoes too but they're much easier to hold back on than the wonderfulness that is chocolate. Unfortunately, however, I still have those breastfeeding sweet toothed cravings. The sort of cravings that a piece of fruit just doesn't fulfill. So I'm on a mission to find sweet treats that don't involve chocolate... which is actually pretty hard for me because I'm no natural sweet tooth, cheese and crackers being my usual guilty pleasure. So I guess I'm wanting to know, whats your usual sweet treat?? or are you a salty treat fan like myself? The boys and I made this Lolly cake over the weekend and as you can imagine, it's gone already.

Lolly Cake::

1 package Malt biscuits, crushed. (I use the food processor for a nice fine crumb)
1/2 a 395g tin of condensed milk
100g butter, melted
1 packet of eskimo lollies (or lolly bananas or similar)
Dessicated Coconut to roll in. (~~the cake, not yourself, silly!)

Mix all ingredients together, minus the coconut. Roll into a log shape, roll in the coconut, cover with cling film and refridgerate to set. Slice when set. Easy!!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh this reminds me, I found a website that sells soy condensed milk - I really must get some so I can make this : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a cake fan myself. I like to bake cakes for all occasions. Lemon buttermilk cake, coffee cake (no coffee in it but you're supposed to eat it WITH coffee), coconut layer cake.

    ...come to think of it. I think a cake is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, love lolly cake... I'm a total sweet tooth, and actually trying reeeeeally hard to cut it out of my diet (not working v. well), as I have been so addicted to it since having Garland (though I barely wanted it when I was pregnant - weird). I'm trying hard to make banana + peanut butter my sweet treat, the combo seems to satisfy in a similar way to chocolate... sometimes. lemon syrup cake is pretty amaze-pants, when I am eating sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hear ya re: the breast feeding sweet tooth! Baking, chocolate, sweets...anything I can lay my hands on, really. Normally, it's just sweets but bf brings out the sugar monster! Our little Pickle is also very spilly and doesn't have reflux (our first one did), and I've been wondering if it's diet related. Good excuse to cut back on chocolate, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend who worked in a cafe when I had my baby, she bought me lolly cake everyday (knowing it was my fav). I completely overloaded and haven't had any since.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)