Thursday, February 17, 2011

the end of our journey


The Breastfeeding Journey that is. I told myself for ages we were going to last at least 15 months. Two weeks ago, the day after Archer turned One, I decided to drop his evening feed. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do (for me, letting go... A hasn't even missed it). As of yesterday Archer is officially weaned. 

I'm glad to have lasted the full year and not even a little disappointed I didn't go as long as the goal. Luke and I have been Married coming up 4 years in April and a good majority of that time I have been either pregnant or breastfeeding. Time for some us-time before we decide to have number 3.

 I can't help but feel a little selfish though. But look at this guy. I'm proud of how he's grown despite his initial challenges and that we lasted through where many and most give up.

archer - 12 1/2 months

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! I weaned Eleanor at one too... I kind of beat up on myself too, a little bit, just because there are so many peeps out there that want you to keep going, but there's also a school of thought that believe it is best for a child to learn independence from their mother at around this age, and weaning them at one is actually a GOOD thing. Which is why I did it... Well anyway, I'm making this all about me, when it's really about YOU! Congrats, and enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you, you have done an awesome job. I'm still feeding (she's 15 1/2 months) but I'm thinking its about time to start slowing things down. We're still on 3 feeds a day!! So I'm kinda thinking I'll aim for 18months...its hard to let go aye :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. brave you!
    i can't do a "Last Feed". can't do it!
    every time i've weaned i've had to make the decision after (what then becomes) the last feed!!
    (this is also my plan for deciding to not have another baby..ie in m head Danny isn't our last baby, but one day i will suddenly tell myself that he is and it'll be too late to be all nostalgic and sad about not having more. see? good plan eh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh he's beautiful Kris, you've done such a great job. You're right many and most do give up far sooner and at far less. I found it so emotional when N self-weaned although we'd already outlasted my time with M. We have to see your cute selves soon. I need an Archer cuddle x

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is gorgeous - look at those soulful eyes!

    If it is any comfort to you, I think I/we are on our way to having the opposite problem. Abbey doesn't like solids. She knows every trick in the book to avoid eating them. Most days, all we manage is a few small teaspoons of pureed stewed apple. She pushes the spoon away, tries to feed the dog etc and when we do get a mouthful in, she makes this cough/gag/sputtering sound as she chokes it down. She will be 8 months next week. I am quite concerned... I get all kinds of reactions when I talk to other mums about it (and in general I think they think I've 'spoilt' her by breastfeeding because society in general is not as BF friendly over here as it is in NZ) but the doctor says to keep persevering and not to worry too much about it unless she's still doing this between 10 months to a year. Even when she plays with her toys, she never puts anything in her mouth, she simply holds things and studies them. I am really starting to wonder when she will get past this stage?

    Anyways, sorry for the long comment, but if you have any advice I would welcome it! Love the dress, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Kristin, 1 yr is much longer than the majority of women in NZ so you can be proud. He's such a gorgeous boy!

    Little Kiwi Chick - my daughter refused to be spoon fed. So we were kind of forced to try "baby led weaning" (can google it). Until about 10mths she was just sucking/licking/tasting the food I put in front of her, not really getting any nutrition from it, and still managed to be in the top centile for weight and height (go milk!) Then she slowly started eating more, and is now a great eater at 20mths. I think your Dr has good advice. We go by the mantra "food before 1 is just for fun". Hope that makes you feel a lil better :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)