Monday, February 21, 2011

baking day

rhubarb and strawberry pie

rhubarb and strawberry muffins

bread sticks


Ever since Clare at Green Valley Crafts made this post, I've been thinking a whole lot more about our grocery bill and how I can make it smaller. I've always been one for baking but I think that maybe in order to save a bit more I need to dedicate a whole day a fortnight (our budget is a fortnightly) to baking a few things and then an hour here and there making muffins or bikkies further through the week as things run out.

This week I made strawberry and rhubarb pie as a treat (using frozen starwberries from our garden and rhubarb from the mother in laws), Strawberry and rhubarb muffins for lunchboxes (yeah, it's a good combination!), breadsticks for snacking on, spicy fruit bread for breakfasts and a coconut loaf (recipe later in the week). I had also planned to make muesli bars also, but somebody took the jar of peanut butter with him fishing. why? who knows. 

It's left me feeling quite satisfied knowing that I've saved quite a bit off our grocery bill AND I only used 100 grams of butter, powdered milk and only 5 eggs! admitidly the pastry was pre-rolled from the supermarket but every time I've tried to make it myself it's been a huge fail!

So yeah. This fortnight we spent $190 at the supermarket. I have $10 left to buy some fruit at the beginning of next week.  Thats $100 a week. pretty good I think!

3 comments:

  1. pretty awesome alright!!
    i'm totally not brave enough to do the fornightly shop...the total of numbers i'd see on the til would give me heart failure i think!!
    it's be so much more relaxing to only have to do it once every 2 weeks....hmmm, tempting.
    ps recipe for breadsticks please??? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! go you! pie looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)