Wednesday, December 8, 2010

sometimes I think too much...

yellow yellow yellow

This morning while I was out christmas shopping, a couple of very-early-twenty-something girls accosted me about how Archer was sleeping in his buggy. He had fallen asleep upright and I didn't want to drop the seat back in case he woke up, so his head was slumped forward quite a bit. The girls tried to tell me he was going to hurt himself because of it and they were rather rude to me, making me feel like I was the worst mother ever. I was so shocked I couldn't and didn't say anything. I ended up forgetting half the things I went shopping for because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I don't know whether these girls thought I was a young mum (as in their own age and not the mid to late 20's sort of young mum that I am) or just felt like bullying or actually had a deep concern for my child and I don't know whether it's the ugly PND shadow in the back of my mind, but it really hurt that people would consider a child in my care in some sort of harm, even just sore neck from sleeping a bit funny.

I'm not even sure why I am posting about this but I guess I am wondering, what would your reaction be in the situation?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Kristin, that sucks!! Don't you hate it how people feel the need to inflict their 'advice' (read criticism) on you, just because you have a child. You were keeping a close eye on the little guy and he was just fine!!

    In my imagination I would have stood up to the girls & told them in no uncertain terms to leave me alone...in real life I would have run away, forgotten what I was doing in town, and driven home crying.

    Lots of love - you are a great mum & they are nosey nasty bullies!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I can't believe anyone would say such a thing to you! That really is bullying. That's awful. I would have been really upset too. In fact I probably would have teared up in front of them which would have made them feel even more 'powerful'. You are an amazing mum, your boys are so blessed to have you as their mother - those girls don't know even know you - please, please try to forget what they said. *hugs* Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be honest i think the ability to 'shake things off' like that or stnad up for your choices has come with time and the amount of kids i've had!
    people don't seem to say stuff to me...(i think i must look too grouchy! haha) but when they do i never have ANYTHING to say and i think of a million better things to say afterwards. total lame-o.
    you should've just started telling them about the day he was born and taken them through the labour minute by minute without letting them walk away...or followed them, still talking about the contractions and the dilating and the mucous plugs...
    they'd never do it again!! haha
    xoxo
    PS you're a rockstar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely can't believe the nerve of some people. Maybe you do look young, but that doesn't give them any more right!
    I guess I am a bit scary, or plain weird, and noone even really talks to me, let alone accuses me of things, but I would totally have done the same thing. I would have gone straight to the car, gotten sad and angry and sat there thinking of all of the smart/snappy replies I should have come out with.

    You are wonderful. One look at your beautiful boys, in their handmade clothes and big smiles on their faces, shows you really are a fabulous mother, and they are lucky to have you.
    Those nasty girls should go and pick on the one of the huge number of mothers out there actually doing harm to their child - letting them drink redbull for morning tea, fanta in their bottles, smoking while pregnant, swearing like a sailor at them.. the list goes on and on and really, honestly, letting your child sleep slumped over in their pushchair 'cause you don't want to wake them doesn't even come close to that list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies, thanks for your lovely comments. It would seem I'm not the only person who would react that way and it makes me feel much better. Have woken up his morning with a clear head and decided the were just snarky girls who aren't even worth the time thinking about.

    Funny thing is I'm really good at shaking things off when it's older people (like an old woman who told me off for not having socks on Archer as a newbie... It was february for goodness sakes and anyway, I'm not a great believer in footwear (even socks/booties, unless it's FREEZING) on littlies until they're walking), I just take it with a grain of salt. I think it just shocked me more coming from people quite obviously younger.

    One day they'll grow up and have kids of their own and maybe then they'll get of their high horses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so bad for you! I'm not sure what I would of said at that moment....but it would of effected me in the same way as you. But forget it...you know and we all know what an incredible mama you are...big hugs to you (I would of probably cried) so stay strong. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are rude. you are cool (and a GREAT mama) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd think they'd find something actually WORTHWHILE to pick on.. who cares if a kids head it lolling forward a bit while they're a taking nap. Be a different story if you'd stuck a sippy top on a 600ml bottle of fanta and given it to him to drink while you do your shopping. And a lollypop in the otherhand in case he gets low on sugar...(yep seen it - kid looked about 9mths old - and no I didn't say a word)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)