Monday, December 13, 2010

chocolate chip shortbread

chocolate chip shortbread


chocolate chip shortbread

Finley and I made these last friday, when he was feeling much better than he is today. I'm suspecting a dose of the flu (he's snotty, has a sore tummy and head and isn't eating) so hopefully it passes quickly and doesn't get the rest of us, especially with christmas just around the corner!

I came across this concept in this book which I currently have out of the library (I highly recommend it to all bakers and non-bakers alike ~ the recipes are so 'non-faff' and it's full of pure inspiration!). I thought it would be a nice additon to the goodie basket or rather, goodie box, that I am putting together for Finley's Porse carer as a wee thank you/christmas present. We are also including some Gingerbread Cookies, which I am going to let Finley decorate and homemade Russian Fudge. I will share my recipes for both later on in the week.

I didn't have the caster sugar called for in the book, so instead I improvised and added chocolate chips to the Edmonds shortbread recipe. I'm not a big fan of shortbread usually but I must say, this has coverted me! My only complaint ~ next time I will use chunkier chocolate chips, or perhaps even a chopped up bar of chocolate. YUM!

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

250g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup cornflour
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup chunky chocolate chips (I used regular and as I said, they really need to be chunky ones)

cream butter and icing sugar 'til light and fluffy. sift cornflour and plain flour together. mix sifted ingredients into creamed mixture. knead well. sprinkle chocolate chips over the dough and knead until they are evenly distributed. roll out on a lightly floured board to a 0.5cm thickness. cut into peices or use cookie cutters if desired. place on a greased oven tray and bake at 150 degrees centigrade for 30 mins or until pale golden.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Damn you. I'm supposed to be on a no baking diet. But they look DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)