Poor wee Archer spends most of his time pulling this sort of a face. The last 3 weeks are a fuzz of sleeplessness, tears, frustration, tantrums and all and all unhappiness. Finley's birthday party was very nearly cancelled and my 26th birthday passed and I barely batted an eyelid. Archer was getting more and more difficult every day. To start with I thought he was just a windy kid. Then I thought it was colic. I resolved myself to the fact that he was just an unhappy baby and quietly struggled along with it. I started to wonder if it was in my head a little bit, and almost started to resent him for his seemingly unhappiness as I haven't had much time for Finley and Luke, or for myself. Archer struggled to sleep during the day, spent 80% of his awake time in tears, screamed blue murder whenever I put him down on his back, wriggled and arched his back during feeds and frequently choked, gagged and wheezed. I texted my midwife who suggested one sided feeding and more frequent feeds, as she wondered if he was just overdoing it, which didn't seem to help. But relief came when she came for her 4 week visit and told me I should ring the doctor as she believed that wee Archer had a pretty bad case of Reflux.
It really makes you appreciate what it is to have a healthy baby (like Finley was), as if Archer had been my 1st I realy don't think I would've even considered having any more! As much as I love the little guy it has been a struggle and I haven't enjoyed the last 3 weeks one bit.
So now I am on a dairy-free diet to try and eliminate a dairy allergy and I have to give Archer 10mg of Omeprazole (or Losec) a day. Today is day 3 on the diet/medication and we slowly seem to be seeing some results. I finally feel like we are starting to bond and I am getting to know a happier little boy. We are constantly watching for him to flash those first smiles... I am so sure that now he feels a bit better in himself that they aren't too far away!
Arohanui Kristin. My first baby (Miss Isla) had severe colic and reading your post I really felt for you as it gave me such a sense of deja vu! I remember the screaming, every day for the first four weeks (at least!). But we got through it and you will too. Hopefully things come right in time for Stitch n Bitch and I can meet you in person xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Lucy. I'm not generally one to make a big deal out of things and I totally don't want this blog to become a "horrible things in Kristins life" dairy, but I really needed to write it out and to be honest with myself about my feelings and now I feel as if I have lifted a cloud and we can move on.
ReplyDeleteI know he will grow out of it, and I've had amazing support from people since I've been more open about it. I'm just one of those people who hates to admit to struggling!
I have my fingers crossed he will be right in time, over the last 2 days he's been a completely different, happier child. I really want to come :o) xx
oh and sorry for the bible-length reply ;o)
Sounds just like my baby! But no one told me about the dairy. He is now allergic to dairy. He was so horrible, and I have to say that he only came right at about a year. But that was to do with the dairy diet thing too. I hope you have better luck, but it sounds like you are already doing better than me. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou poor things! We went through the same kind of thing with Aspen. She was colicky/screamy/crazy for 3 and a half months and it. was. hell. I'm so glad you guys discovered the cause. Things righted themselves at the 4 month mark with Aspen, and we still don't know what was wrong. I basically carried her around in a baby carrier for 4 months straight because it was the only thing that calmed her. We were so at that point 'What were we thinking? Why do people have more babies? We're never doing this again". Then at 8 months of age, I started itching to have another!! You really do forget all the bad stuff eh?
ReplyDeleteP.S Becoming-Mom went through a whole lot of crazy with her son. You might be interested in this: http://www.becoming-mom.net/category/reflux/
ReplyDelete