Wednesday, June 6, 2012

baby knits part 3 plus some wool eating bug holes

Admittedly there has been not much crafting going round here lately. We've hit difficult stages in both the boys lives (four year old testostrone surge + a headstrong two year old = the stuff of nightmares), so between trying to be a patient Mama and late pregnancy, any spare time I do get, has been spent blobbing mindlessly in front of the telly. 

As can be expected, though, my needles have been happy with my lack of motivations elsewhere...

 I finished this little newbie cardi a few days ago ~ having realised I don't have much super-warm stuff in teeny sizes, I've been on a mission to get some little woolies made up. It's made from the same pattern as this grey stripey number I made earlier in the pregnancy.
 
 

I finished this little yellow vest a while ago after seeing Rhiannon's cute little number made up. I also made up a couple of the hats included in the pattern and currently have a white vest on the needles, waiting to be finished tonight.


These pants were a major disappointment. They were meant to be a size 0 to 3 months, but the feet on them are tiny! Obviously Ms. Knight hasn't meet Sullivan babies... (Pattern from this book, by Erica Knight, the same as the little blue vest I made back here). 

Anyway, disappointed as I was I stashed them away in the chest of drawers with the rest of the little clothes, only to discover a few days later they'd been gnawed at by carpet beetle larvae! ARGGH?!?! Needless to say that nasty set of drawers has been disposed of (free to a good home on the front lawn...), but not before a few other bits and pieces fell victim to the nasty little blighters, including one of the two merino bodysuits I made a few weeks ago and one of the woolen singlets lent to me by a friend!

 (if you look carefully you can see nasty chew-hole on the left side at the crotch line)

   
Nasty, nasty little beggars. 

If anyone has any grand ideas for repairing or covering these little chew marks, I'll gladly hear them.

3 comments:

  1. Noooo!!! That's so terrible!

    Keeping wool, or woolen things, in a pillow case that is tightly tied shut keeps out moths. Keeping them in a cedar box is even better.

    Freezing wool for 3 days, defrosting, then refreezing will kill any larvae and moths.

    I lost 6 alpaca fleeces last year and just about cried. I've been a lot more proactive this year about keeping vermin out of my prized possessions.

    Sorry, dear! Hope you can get rid of the vermin!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you saw what i did on IG..."put an arrow on it!" ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)