Wednesday, May 5, 2010

sunset











On sunday evening we went on a little exploration mission in the rock pools around Mt Maunganui. We've had a fish tank waiting to be set up for a while, but have lacked the finances to do it properly (nice stones for the bottom are about $50 a bag!!). A friend of Lukes from his student days suggested setting up a rock pool tank a la 1st and second year Marine Studies (what Luke studied as a precursor to his ecology degree) student projects. To begin with we were a bit dubious, as marine fish are a LOT of work, but rock pool animals are pretty hardy, so we decided to give it a go.

So now we are the new carers of 2 blennies, 3 cushion stars, about 10 shrimp, 1 hermit crab, 1 snail and a couple of sealice that piggy-backed their way in somehow (ew!). Finley loves the new additions, he even kisses the "frimp" goodnight at bedtime and naptime, bless!! Only problem is that Luke is off overseas for 2 weeks for work next week, so I am hoping I don't kill them all while he is gone...

1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)