Friday, September 4, 2009

goodbyes

**I made a promise to myself that I would blog more often than once a week/ every 10 days, but it doesnt seem to be working!!**



Sadly Lukes grandfather passed away (at the ripe old age of 94) last sunday, which has meant not much mood for taking photo's, despite a trip to Hawkes Bay with beautiful weather and plenty of opportunity.

I managed to start making a granny square blanket (photo's to come later) and Luke's mum encouraged me off to her local op-shop, which I have been meaning to visit everytime we see his folks.

Sadly we are unable to go to the funeral which is to be held in Sydney (where he lived), so we spent some quality time with Lukes parents and reminded ourselves of the importance of whanau. I myself only met Geoffery the once (and sadly he never met Finley), but he certainly left the impression of being amazingly intellegent, spirited and energetic (he was still attending yoga up to 2 months before he passed). He experienced much through his time, including surviving the blitz in London and the long haul on the boat to New Zealand. Old age just becomes some of us in the end, no matter how healthy and spirited we are and Geoffery certainly gave it a good haul. Rest in peace our old friend, you led a good life and will be in a better place now.

Luke, Grandfather Geoffery and I. Easter 2007.

Sorry for the sad post, back to happiness soon I promise!! And to clarify in case of confusion... Lukes mum was born in London, so Luke is actually half british, but you'd never guess just by looking at him obviously!!

xx

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a very cool dude! Love to you and your whanau at this time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no so sad to hear, he sounds like a good man who lived a full long life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Kristen, thinking of you all. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)