Friday, August 28, 2009

Spring!!

Spring has defintely arrived here in our part of the Bay of Plenty. Finley and I made the most of a beautiful, warm morning by getting outside and into the garden. I discovered that I have tulips emerging, and one is even in flower already! This year is my first attempt at growing bulbs (I have Irises in too) so I am thrilled to bits that they survived my lack of garden knowledge!


Now that the warmer weather seems to be with us I will have to get onto getting some sunflower and nasturtium seeds in. I adore nasturtiums in summer salads, yum! Although Luke isn't so keen on eating flowers...

We only have 6 strawberry plants in so far (with more waiting to be transplanted and plans to get morw from the shops), and they are in flower already



I also discovered some new growth on my poor tamarillo trees, which are a bit worse for wear after the huge hail-storm we had earlier in the year. They got quite badly frosted too, so I am very happy the seem to be coming away again.


Finley and I investigated Lukes garden to see what he has coming along, where F was fascinated with a busy little bee going about his work amongst the broad beans. He stood for ages watching and humming to the little bee, looking at me with a smile and following it around the garden. It really surprised me that he grasped that it was a "bee" after me only saying it a couple of times (he doesn't have many proper words), and not once did he try to touch it.

finley watching the bee

the little bee with his head buried in a flower

gently touching dada's plants


And here is a bit of a sneak preview of something I have been working on. Not sure when I will have any of this new applique ready to sell as I've been hectic of late, but for now F looks super-cool in his new tee-shirt!!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
xx






4 comments:

  1. I adore that t-shirt. I will be keeping an eye out for when it becomes available to buy! You are a wonderful gardener! I have planted some sweetpeas. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. To be truthful I only garden because Luke is really into it and it's a nice way to spend time together. I'm not that big of a fan of worms and snails freak me out! But seeing the flowers blossom and being able to eat the veg is very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have naturally green fingers...everything looks so healthy ~ wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)