This morning when we rose in our household it was COLD. It felt like winter is really upon us. And of course with thoughts of winter, come thoughts of soup!
Anyway, Finley and I went out for the morning and when we returned, Luke and Archer had made a quick trip to Te Puke to gather some Jerusalem Artichokes ~ there's a stretch on the main road between T/P and Papamoa that is artichoke-haven, free for the taking. They dug up a whole fish bin full and this afternoon I got a-cookin' to stock up the freezer in prep for our early baby days. It's such a good soup, and really easy to make, with minimal ingredients as long as you can get yourself some 'chokes!
I can't remember where this recipe came from but I've adjusted it over time anyway...
Jerusalem Artichoke and Carrot Soup.
700g-1kg jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed (or peeled if you'd rather but I'm lazy) and sliced
500g carrots, chopped
1 med-large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped (I throw the leaves in too...)
50g butter
1.5L light stock (I use chicken but vege stock is fine)
Melt butter in the bottom of a large soup pot and soften onion and celery (but don't let it brown). Add artichokes and carrots and leave to 'sweat' for 10 mins or so over a lowish heat. Add stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20mins or until carrots are soft, then take off the heat and leave too cool for a bit. Puree til smooth and season if you'd like (I don't... with 2 little boys in the house I don't add much salt in my cooking at all). bring back to the boil or leave to cool and freeze for later if you are me!
Te Puke is my home town! Cool that you found the artichokes! If you want fejoas and feel like a drive to Paengaroa my parents can probably give you a bag or so :P
ReplyDeleteAmy
We had bacon hock and vege soup tonight, was so nice on a cold winter'
ReplyDeletes night! Can't believe how cold it's been already here in Tauranga! By the way, it's lovely to see your bump growing, not long now!