Monday, June 17, 2013

Floyd

 Meet Floyd.


Floyd (name influence from my dad.... because he his pink....) is a little worse for wear but has been hugely loved. He is a Care Bear who was lovingly stitched for me by my crafty mum, for Christmas one year as a preschooler. She also made me a cabbage patch doll (they used to sell parts for those apparently) at some stage but that has long disappeared. It was the 80s and these things were huge. She could've bought them but that's just not her style. In fact as a child a good percentage of our toys and clothes were handmade.

And for that I am glad. 

I learned to sew, knit, cook, bake and thrift from my mum, and while as a tween I may have found my home-sewn PE shorts and second hand jeans embarrassing, now I can look back and say that it has a huge influence in the way I am as an adult. It's instilled the value I have for handmade vs commercial and the true value of looking after possessions In our throwaway society which hopefully I can continue to pass on that same value to my children and they can pass it on to their children.

A few days ago, Floyd was pulled from a storage box. I had a little reminisce and Benji fell in love.





I think Floyd might just belong to Benji now....

6 comments:

  1. I had a mama-made carebear too! He still lives at my mums and the girls play with him when they visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Your mama is obviously very talented. I love the last picture of Benji and his new best friend. Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nawwwww - cute photos. Doesn't it make your heart glad you much loved toy is not loved by your son. I had friend bear (the peach one) and my Mum started making me a cabbage patch, but I don't think she ever finished it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwww too sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I try to reply to as many as I can so please check back. :o)